In honor of our 1st game on Friday, September 2, 2011, the Krispy Kreme doughnut store on Ponce de Leon Avenue, will be selling Panther blue football-shaped doughnuts from 6:00am-11:00am.
Purchase a dozen Panther blue doughnuts from 6-11am on Friday to share with friends or to treat yourself, and you will receive a free voucher for 2 football tickets, that are valid for any GSU football game this season at the Georgia Dome.
Nabewise helps people moving in a new town or city understand what neighborhoods would suit them best, and here is the profile about Georgia State University: http://nabewise.com/atlanta/georgia-state
“Georgia State has a unique university feel, with the added craziness of the city. This university blends in nicely with Atlanta, and sometimes it is easy to forget you are on a college campus at all.” -Nabewise at Georgia State
Thanks for posting “Exploring 365 Days @ GSU” as a link to Georgia State’s Nabewise page!
There is an open casting call for Vampire Diaries at Georgia State’s Student Center! All filming takes place in the Atlanta area.
What: CW Television series, “The Vampire Diaries”
When: Sunday, August 28, 2011 from 2:00pm-5:00pm
Where: Georgia State University Student Center, House Salon (right next to the Ballroom near the Student Center front desk)
44 Courtland Street, Atlanta, GA 30303
Who: Looking for GSU students and anyone else is welcome to come to the casting call! No experience is necessary.
If selected, you will be paid $58 for 8 hours of work and overtime after 8 hours.
Best of Luck!
Here is a flyer I found about a job opportunity:
Student Assistants Needed
-Who can apply: students who have completed Calculus I with a B or better (Math majors are preferred, but not required)
-Hours: up to 20 hours per wekk
-Contact information: email email@example.com or call at (404)-413-3974 if interested.
B’Fly Girls is a non-profit organization that provides group mentoring to young girls in metro Atlanta.
Here are two internship opportunities with this organization:
1) Marketing & Resource Development Assistant
- Duration: September 2011-June 2012
- Hours: 3 days per week (approximately 20 hrs/week)
- Requirements: must be enrolled at a college, pursuing an undergraduate degree in related fields like Marketing, Communications, Journalism, or Public Relations and maintain a 2.8 GPA-also, submit an essay explaining what you hope to gain from the internship
- Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like the pdf file of position responsibilites and qualifications
- Letter of interest, resume, and essay is due by August 26, 2011, to email@example.com
2) Program Assistant
- Duration: September 2011-June 2012
- Hours: 3 days per week (approximately 20 hrs/week)
- Requirements: must be enrolled at a college, pursuing an undergraduate or graduation degree in related fields like Business, Public Administration, or Project Management and maintain a 2.8 GPA-also, submit an essay explaining what you hope to gain from the internship
- Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like the pdf file of position responsibilities and qualifications
- Letter of interest, resume, and essay is due by August 26, 2011 to email@example.com
The title above is the theme for the 2011-2012 Panther Breakaway. Panther Breakaway allows students to go on an alternative winter or spring break, focusing on a particular social issue, like homelessness, poverty, aids and children, environment, in different states, like Virginia, Washington D.C., Florida, etc…
To apply, one can visit the student organizations website at http://gsu.orgsync.com/. Login into orgsync or create an account, and search for Panther Breakaway. Ask to join the organization and then you’ll find the application.
For more information, contact the Office of Civic Engagement at (404)-413-1550, or visit them in Suite 320-Student Center.
Below, you can find pictures of my Alternative Spring Break trip to Richmond, Virginia, in Spring 2010, and our social issue was homelessness.
(at basketball game, with President Becker, watching GSU play against Old Dominion).
(volunteering at food kitchen in Richmond)
Applications are due by September 30, 2011, but apply as soon as possible as these trips are in high demand!
Here are some free events/auditions from Monday, August 22, 2011, to Saturday, August 27, 2011, so make new friends and enjoy your first week of class!
- Monday: 08/22/11 -Wesley Hang out (FREE Chick-fil-a)
In University Center, Suite 402, learn more about the Wesley Foundation at GSU, and enjoy free Chick-fil-a! It’s from 7:00pm-9:00pm.
- Monday: 08/22/11 -Cookout in the Courtyard
Enjoy music, games, free food, raffle to win a Kindle 3G at Intervarsity’s cookout from 6:00pm-8:00pm in the Commons Courtyard.
- Tuesday: 08/23/11 -Grill and Chill
At 6:30pm, the Baptist Collegiate Ministrty (located at intersection of Edgewood Avenue/Courtland Street), will serve free hotdogs and hamburgers and will have worship at 7:30pm
[you do not have to be a Christian or a Baptist to enjoy their events-they have $3 lunches every Tuesday-Thursday from 12pm-1pm, so enjoy a homemade lunch, with sweet tea/lemonade, and a dessert!]
- Wednesday: 08/24/11 -ALD Luau Party
Alpha Lambda Delta is the only honor society for freshman, so come learn more about this organization! From 7:00pm-10:00pm, you can enjoy free food, games, and prizes in University Center, Suite 480. This is for freshman students and current ALD students, but you can bring friends.
- Thursday: 08/25/11 -GSU Idol auditions
From 11:30am-2:00pm and 5:00pm-7:00pm, you can audition for GSU Idol in Speaker’s Auditorium! Good luck! And to sign up, one must come to Speaker’s Auditorium toward start of audition time (11:30am or 5:00pm).
- Thursday, 08/25/11-Saturday, 08/27-11- The Den Season 2 Casting
The Den is looking for GSU students to film throughout the semester, following their lives and aspirations. For more information, go to the Facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=137242756367331
- Friday, 08/26/11- First Panther Prowl of the Year!
From 8:00pm-2:00am, enjoy free food, laser tag, wii games, karaoke, and much more, at the Battle Grounds Panther Prowl. And play “Are you smarter than a GSU Inceptor?” Dance party will be from 12:00am-2:00am on Saturday.
- Saturday, 08/27/11 -An Evening with the Inceptors
Want to become a 2012 Inceptor? Learn what it takes to become an Inceptor. Come enjoy an elegant evening, with live piano, swing dancing, and card games, in Veteran’s Memorial Hall from 5:00pm-8:00pm. Light refreshments and mocktails will be served.
Enjoy all of these festivities!
Effective Sunday, August 28, 2011, Georgia State’s Library North and Library South will be open until midnight, for every Sunday, for the fall semester. They are running a pilot program for extended hours, to meet the needs of students studying on campus. As Vice President of Student Services, my hope is to implement 24 hour library during finals before the 2011-2012 school year is done. This program will help GSU advance to that stage, if the demand is there.
Like to sing? Well become a local celebrity on campus by auditioning for GSU Idol! The 6th Annual GSU Idol will be held in the Rialto Center for Performing Arts on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 from 7:00pm-10:00pm.
Auditions will be held on Thursday, August 25, 2011 in Speaker’s Auditorium at the following times:
For more information, contact the Office of New Student Orientation and Parent Relations at (404)-413-1570 or visit them in Suite 265 in Student Center.
GSU Idol Facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=231179596925516
GSU Idol Auditions Facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=260913687252975
Good luck and see you at GSU Idol!
On Sunday, August 21, 2011, Georgia State is hosting 3 different events, so don’t miss out!
1) Freshman Convocation (3:00pm in Sports Arena)-this is the official welcoming for Georgia State freshman as they embark on their 1st year college experience as a Panther; it is not mandatory, but highly recommended! It is not necessary to RSVP, so come with your friends!
2) Block Party (4:00pm-7:00pm in Hurt Park)-meet the Football team and get autographs, enjoy free food, win prizes, and meet lots of new Panthers!
3) Target College Event at GSU (9:30pm-11:30pm at Atlantic Station Target)-Target will be shut down just for us GSU students to take advantage of great giveaways, prizes, and coupons. So shop your heart out at Target, getting ready for the great fall semester! You can catch a bus, every 20 minutes, from University Lofts and University Commons. See you there!
(commuter students-you can park near campus at Shell Gas Station at John Wesley Dobbs/Piedmont Avenue intersection or at commercial lot off of John Wesley Dobbs-across the street from Shell Gas Station) —> Facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=262548873757172
On Saturday, August 20, 2011, the university library will have temporary interruptions with their online services from 9:00am-5:00pm, so they can upgrade their servers.
This will include the GSU library’s website, interlibrary loan service, and off-campus access to library resources. Keep this in mind if you plan on doing any research during this time!
The following student discounts are valid for Georgia State, Georgia Tech, and SCAD students, with a valid student I.D.:
Ann Taylor: 20% full priced items for teachers and university students
Atlantic Station Car Wash and Detail Center: 20% off wash services
Banana Republic: 15% full priced items for teachers and university students
Bodies Exhibit and Dialog in the Dark: 20% full priced ticket-valid only at box office
City Sports: 10% off non-sale items
Eye Gallery: 10% prescription eyewear or sunglasses
K-LA: 10% off regular price merchandise
Kilwin’s: 10% off
Lobby Bar and Bistro: 12% off-excludes alcohol
Pink Heart: 20% off
Rosa Mexicano: 15% off total purchase-excludes alcoholic beverages
Strip: 10% total purchase
Uptown Pups: 10% off
Which Wich: 10% off any wich or catering order
Happy shopping! These discounts are valid at any time. Offers are subject to change, so ask store for further details.
-Grace Lee :)
Looking for a job on campus? Go stop by Cinefest’s box office to pick up an application (located on 2nd floor of University Center). For eligibility, one must be a GSU student who has completed one semester and maintained a 2.5 GPA. Applications are available until the last week of August.
If you’re interested in becoming a lawyer or like to argue, Mock Trial at Georgia State would be an amazing experience for you! The undergraduate team is having tryouts on Friday, August 19, 2011, from 12:00pm-6:30pm in the GSU Law School Courtroom. You can get class credit for this opportunity and class meets from 5:30pm-7:30pm on Wednesdays, for the fall semester. Contact UMTA@gmail.com for questions and tryout materials.
If you have maintained a 3.5 GPA at GSU, you can apply to become a part of the Honors College! As a incoming freshman, you have to be invited to the Honors College, or you can apply after your 1st semester in college. As a transfer student, you can apply to the honors program immediately if you have a 3.5 GPA from your previous institution.
You can graduate with Honors, Advanced, or Research Honors on your diploma.
The advantages to be a part of the Honors College are the following:
1) Computer lab on 4th floor of University Center (and you only get to print for a penny!)
2) Small class sizes (sometimes, an honors section is combined with a large lecture class, but then you can find a small class with 6 students-like I had for my “Honors Art and Environment” class).
3) Priority registration (as an Honors student, you get to register for your classes usually one week before everyone else)
4) Housing in Commons (you have the option of living on the Honors floor, living on an upper floor, to get the best view of Atlanta!)
For more information, visit the Honor’s College website at http://www.gsu.edu/honors/index.html.